Barbara Polich has spent a 30 year career resolving the legal disputes and impediments of her business clients. Her career was with the largest law firm in Utah. Barbara understands that litigation is not a goal, but a tool for resolution of a client’s disputes. Barbara also, importantly, understands that some cases need to be tried, and that a client is always better served if their “litigator” can and will take appropriate matters to trial.
Barbara has been very active in the legal and business community. She has been awarded a number of honors for her legal skills and broader community involvement. Barbara has decided to practice with Val Antczak, her husband and former law partner. They elected to establish a firm where innovation could flourish, without outcomes driven by firm structure. Barbara remains, however, as committed as ever to solutions for clients, and devoted to the practice of law.
Dynamic and innovative lawyer, as proven by successes in leading major litigation and in providing sound business advice to a variety of clients. Strong organizational and leadership skills as illustrated both in her experience at law firms and in her community organization efforts. Adept at providing legal advice to innovative and market driven organizations.
Areas of Expertise:
- Contract Evaluation / Analysis
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business Issue Resolution
- Strategic Planning
- Intellectual Property Experience
- Commercial Law Experience
- Broad Litigation Experience
- Business Development
- Employment Law Knowledge
- Received highest professional peer rating possible since 1992 from Martindale Hubbell AV Rating.
- Recognized in Super Lawyers.
- Repeatedly recognized as a leading lawyer in Utah by Utah Business.
- Recognized as Lawyer of the Year, Utah Federal Bar Association in 1994.
- Prepeadtedly recognized in Chambers USA in intellectual property.
- Selected as University of Wisconsin - Green Bay Distinguished Alumni, 2009.
Partner, BALLARD SPAHR ANDREWS & INGERSOLL, LLP (2005 – 2009)
- Advised on and litigated intellectual property issues, emphasizing patent, trade secrets and licensing disputes.
- Recognized expertise in complex commercial litigation, including energy supply and other contract disputes.
- Advised and assisted businesses in pre-litigation negotiation and resolution of economic disputes.
- Proven appellate advocacy, both written and oral, before state and federal courts.
- Acted as an advocate in both US and domestic arbitrations.
- Early advocate of the use of computerized litigation support.
- Experienced in legal business development.
Arbitrator, AMERICAN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION (1994 – Present)
- Appointed to the American Arbitration Association’s national commercial and employment panels.
- Routinely serves as arbitrator in a variety commercial and employment arbitrations.
Attorney / Shareholder, PARSONS BEHLE & LATIMER (1977 – 2005)
- Served as co-lead counsel in arbitration and litigation involving $100 to $400 million energy supply contracts.
- Lead counsel in sucessfully preserving developer’s primary patent in litigation against Fortune 100 Company.
- Provided strategic advice on the management and substance of litigation challenging the constitutionality of a state statutory scheme, ultimately held to be unconstitutional by the Tenth Circuit.
- Handled employment litigation, investigation, and severance issues for major client.
- Involved in numerous litigation matters from “bet the company” to the routine.